One of the most important things that a business should have when dealing with fire are fire extinguishers. No wonder why it is one of the requirements for a business before they could start with their operation. You can consider this as invaluable equipment that could save many lives when a fire occurs within the workplace. Of course, before a fire gets bigger, it will start with just a small flame yet when not eliminate right away then that would be the time that it will get worst. So, before you get to that point, you will have to use fire extinguishers.
Fire Extinguishers: Discover the Proper Way of Using Them
Fire extinguishers are widely available and you can simply buy one anytime you want to. Aside from that, you don’t have to break your wallet in buying fire extinguishers. In a workplace, employees are required to learn how to use a fire extinguisher for them to eliminate the fire while it is still small. So, if ever that you have no idea on how it works, then you can simply follow the instructions below.
- Pull the extinguisher pin.
- Take the hose nozzle and point it to where the fire is.
- Release the agent inside the extinguisher by squeezing the handle.
- Make sure to eliminate the flame.
However, being aware on how to use an extinguisher properly is not enough for you to say that you are ready to deal with fire. It also requires employees to undergo training and consider the following.
- It is necessary that you use a fire alarm to signal all the people within the workplace that there is fire. Yet, this is not to cause turmoil but to inform them that they have to put into actions what they have learned during the fire drill.
- It is important that you look for a safe evacuation route.
- If ever that you have already used up all the agents that a fire extinguisher contains, then it is time for you to evacuate.
- Before the fire grows, you have to go out of the premise and just let the firefighters do their job. They have better equipments to kill the fire and the best thing that you should do is to save yourself.
Different types of Fire Extinguisher
The fire extinguishers were developed a long time from now and are considered as one of the best inventions. Inventing safety products are quite essential for everyone. Since the first development, there have been several innovations, and many different types of extinguishers are also developed.
Many things are different and new, but one thing that is the same and will remain the same is those elements that can cause fire are- heat, fuel, oxygen, and chemical reaction. If you remove any of those elements, the fire can be extinguished.
When you go into detail, then you will know there are different types of fire extinguishers, and those are mentioned in the following points-
- Water-Fire Extinguisher- When you use the water fire extinguisher, it will blow out the fire. It is because it will take away the heating element that can cause the fire. It is used only for the Class A fires.
- Dry chemical fire extinguisher-Dry Chemical extinguisher helps douse the fire by cutting off the chemical reaction element of the fire extinguisher. It is the extinguisher used for Class A, Class B, and Class C fires because it is effective on that.
- CO2 fire extinguisher-CO2 or carbon dioxide extinguishers will take away the element of oxygen from the fire. It will also remove the heat and leave a cold discharge. It is the fire extinguisher that is mostly used and effective in Class B and C fires.
Some of the extinguishers are here can be used for different fire classes but not every one of them. So if you are using the one, make sure that it can be used. People must understand that every fire needs different types of extinguishers, which will be based on the circumstances there at that time.
When you use the fire extinguisher, then it will help in not just eliminating the fire but also several other things. You should learn how to stop the fire in the right way so that it will not cause many problems for you. But why should you use the fire extinguisher? Why is it necessary? Look out for the points below-
- It helps prevent the injuries that might occur because of the fire. No one wants to get anyone injured and fire extinguisher and solve that.
- It keeps people safe in the workplace, home, or other places.
- You do not have to wait for the fire department; the people there can take action immediately.
The Final Words
These are just simple actions that you can do if ever that a fire occurs in a workplace. You don’t have to panic instead you have to be brave so you can think clearly and know what you should do. And you can also take the services of Fire Watch Guards to prevent fire in the workplace.