Yoga has been a part of human civillization for many years. It has numerous techniques and methods to help unlock your true mental and physical potential. One of these powerful techniques that has been in use is meditation.
Meditation is the best yogic technique to improve your level of attention as well as awareness. It helps put the mind into a calm state and in the long run helps you develop the resilience to face challenging situations.
Needless to say, there are some major benefits to daily practice of this yogic technique. Yoga experts have broken all these into three different categories namely – physical, mental, and spiritual.
Let us now focus on the physical benefits.
- Improves heart health by controlling blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Improves immune system functions including more resistance to diseases
- Minimizes physical symptoms of anxiety like tense muscles and panic attacks
- Improves athletic performance by improving concentration, body balance, and flexibility
- Helps sleep peacefully by handling sleep-related problems like insomnia
- Develops willpower to overcome addiction to substances like alcohol and drugs
You should look for the best yoga schools in India to experience more life-changing physical benefits of yoga.
Now, let us check out how yoga impacts your mental health.
Numerous studies and research has shown how meditation is a powerful tool in dealing with mental health issues and overall emotional well-being.
That said, given below are some of the major benefits of meditation for your mental health.
- Helps connect with the present moment and disconnects from worry about the past or future
- Helps deal with stress in personal and professional relationships
- Minimizes feelings of anxiety which is beneficial if you suffer from PTSD
- Improves response towards depression
- Improves ability to concentrate on what to focus on and getting rid of negative thoughts
- Heightens emotional intelligence which helps manage unnecessary feelings and thoughts
- Helps overcome phobias
- Increase self-knowledge to gain better understanding of the true self
Now, it is time for us to check out how meditation helps you evolve on a spiritual level.
Given below are some of the major spiritual benefits of daily meditation:
- Enhanced ability to put things into perspectives which helps you focus on important things
- Well-defined sense of purpose which helps you make the right decision in relationships, career, and life
- Feeling of unity between mind, body, and soul to help you get more in tune with yourself
- Honest self-acceptance when it comes to things which you cannot change
- A sense of relationship with a higher power
To make it easier for you to kickstart a meditation practice, yoga experts have come up with a few simple tips.
Meditation Exercise for Beginners
If you are just starting out with meditation, yoga experts have a few easy-to-follow tips.
- Find a comfortable place which is clean and devoid of all noise.
- As a beginner yoga experts recommend that you set a short time period like 5 to 10 minutes.
- Follow the sensations you experience as you focus on the inhale and exhale of your breath.
- At times, your attention is likely to wane and go to other places. When that happens, just notice where your mind wandered off to and try to come back to the session with attention to the breath.
- Do not judge yourself or be obsessed over the thoughts going through your mind.
- Once you are done. Simply lift your gaze and notice any sounds in the environment. Pay attention to how your body feels as well as the thoughts and emotions.
Note: You can sit in a chair with feet on the floor. Yoga experts recommend you sit in the cross-legged position. Just make sure you are in a comfortable and stable position.
Meditation is the ancient yogic technique which helps you enjoy good health and wellness without any hassle.
Meditation has been a part of spirituality as long as yoga. This ancient technique helps you connect with the divine and unlock your true mental and physical potential. Yoga experts recommend that you should enroll in certified yoga schools in India to learn meditation from the masters.