Hormone replacement therapy for women happens to be one of the treatments approved by the government for providing relief to females from menopausal symptoms. Caused by reduced estrogen levels at menopause, these symptoms consist of sleep issues, hot flashes, plus vaginal dryness. Researchers have also approved hormone replacement for preventing osteoporosis. At present, much lower dosages have been prescribed by the clinicians for shorter periods than prior to 2002.
We have provided some basic info while talking about the risks and advantages of menopausal hormone replacement.
Natural menopause comes with several benchmark stages which are as follows:
• Perimenopause happens to be the period between the commencement of the symptoms and one year following the initial menstrual period.
• A woman will experience menopause 1 year after the last menstrual period.
• By the term postmenopause, we mean all the time that is after menopause.
HT can be of 2 basic types, which are as follows:
• Estrogen-only therapy or ET. Estrogen happens to be a hormone responsible for providing maximum relief to menopausal symptoms. Doctors have prescribed ET for females who don’t have a uterus because of hysterectomy.
• EPT implies combined estrogen and progesterone therapy. Females with a uterus will be protected against uterine cancer caused by estrogen with the addition of progesterone to ET.
It will be feasible to take women hormone replacement in a couple of ways, which are as follows:
• There is a circulation of systemic products to all parts of the system as well as throughout the bloodstream. You will find them in the form of patches, oral pills, emulsions, gels, injections, or sprays which can be used for various types of vaginal symptoms, night sweats, hot flashes, and osteoporosis.
• Non-systemic or local products will be affecting a particular part of the body only. You will find them in the form of creams, tablets, or rings and you can use them for getting relief from vaginal symptoms as well.
Present prescribing practice
Make use of the lowest effective dosage for the shortest period when it comes to the commencement of HT. Although females initiating HT close to menopause will have a better benefit-risk ratio, it can turn out to be riskier over time due to menopause in most cases.
It is possible for females to take HT in case they experience menopause before the age of 40 years without any breast cancer history until the usual age of 51 if they don’t have any reason to take it. A customized plan will be suggested by the clinicians for every woman out there since there is nothing as “one size fits all”.
It has been proved by lots of studies that systemic womens hormone replacement will help to get rid of conditions such as vaginal dryness, hot flashes, bone loss, as well as night sweats. These can result in improving the overall quality of life with enhanced slumber plus sexual relations.
There are many factors that will help in figuring out any specific hormone product that can be used by any woman – her preferences, her age, her risks, the price of the product, and the available options for treatment. It will be possible to make the choice for treatment after evaluating her present situation and after consulting with the clinician.